726 Hay Street, formerly known as the Economic Stores, is a significant and well-known landmark in the Hay Street Mall, constructed in 1922, which continues a retail tradition begun on the site in the 1860s.
The building was completely refurbished, guided by the principles of the Burra Charter, with particular challenges including the need to conserve significant external fabric, completely upgrade services and access, repair derelict interior including a degraded concrete structure, and to insert a basement car park into an ninety year old building, whilst co-ordinating works around existing tenants on a very tight and busy inner city intersection. The 1950s upper floor was retained and reclad so as to not visually intrude on the grand, original building.
The outcomes of the project include a sensitively conserved exterior, including the reconstruction of street level awnings, which greatly improves the amenity of the pedestrian mall; improved circulation, including the creation of a new, well proportioned and finished ground floor lobby providing a street presence for upper floor tenants; daylight being brought into the building through the new central void without the need to create further openings in the significant external fabric; and a revitalised building and streetscape.
- Internal and external conservation works
- Complete internal refurbishment
- Preparation of conservation plan
- Design, documentation and administration of conservation works
- Design, documentation and administration of internal refurbishment