Hamilton Hill Memorial Hall was constructed in 1925 to commemorate fallen and returned soldiers and remains the focus of Anzac Day ceremonies in the locality. In 2004 Palassis Architects completed a conservation plan for the place and were subsequently commissioned to restore the hall and provide additional cultural facilities for the community.
Guided by the conservation plan and principles of the Burra Charter, the conservation program comprised the removal of intrusive elements, the restoration of original fabric, the reconstruction of former elements using archival evidence, and the introduction of new facilities.
New sculptural building forms have been carefully designed to ensure that they do not intrude on significant fabric, and that the introduction of a new architectural language does not compete with the heritage hall.
Landscaping focuses on the strong north-south axis from the war memorial across the site. The buildings sit within this new landscaped setting allowing a full appreciation of both old and new, creating a sense of history and culture in the park. Extensive community consultation and collaboration with consultants ensured a design solution that has been embraced by the community.
- Internal and external conservation works
- New Works
City of Cockburn
- Preparation of conservation plan
- Preparation of conservation management plan
- Design, documentation and administration of conservation works
2009 Australian Institute of Architects (WA Chapter) Western Australia Architecture Awards – Architecture Award